USA Reveals Plans For New Rugby Competition
Major League Rugby.
The USA will launch a professional rugby league in 2018, known as Major League Rugby (MLR).
Ten teams in nine cities will be a part of the venture. Several attempts to start a pro rugby league in the United States have failed in the past, but this no venture plans to finally take advantage of the exponential growth of rugby in America in recent years.
“Beginning in 2018, Major League Rugby (MLR) will launch as a new professional rugby competition in North America. MLR will be the premier rugby competition in the United States. By drawing on the best domestic talent MLR will create an intense, fast-paced competition and a top-tier media product. MLR will introduce rugby to the American sports mainstream, provide a focal point for millions of existing fans and bring even more new supporters to the game” a press release read.
The following groups are listed as founding members of MLR as of May 10:
– 1924 Rugby – Glendale, Colo.
– Blues Rugby Management – Kansas City, Mo.
– DFW Major Rugby – Dallas
– Houston Strikers – Houston
– Huns Rugby Management – Austin
– NOLA Rugby Enterprises – New Orleans
– Seattle Rugby LLC – Seattle
– Tornadoes Rugby LLC – Minneapolis
– Rugby Utah Ventures – Salt Lake City
MLR added it will announce the final team and venue list, along with 2018 schedule, in the coming months.
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- A History Of The Six Nations - January 19, 2018
- 1989: The Year The Lions Truly Roared - December 1, 2017
- Disappointment For Jack Nowell As the World Cup Countdown Begins - November 13, 2017