Eddie Jones Names His First England Side As Head Coach
Dylan Hartley will captain England when they take on Scotland in their RBS 6 Nations opener at Murrayfield as Eddie Jones prepares for his first game as Head Coach.
Jones has chosen Owen Farrell at inside centre while Danny Care starts at scrum-half. Joe Marler is named at loosehead prop with George Kruis partnering Joe Launchbury in the second row.
Courtney Lawes is fit enough to be named among the replacements which include three debutants – Jack Clifford, Paul Hill and Ollie Devoto. Harlequins’ Chris Robshaw starts at blind-side flanker, James Haskell is installed at open-side with Billy Vunipola at No 8.
Vunipola is one of three vice-captains along with Farrell and full-back Mike Brown. Between them Jones’ side have 512 international caps as they aim to retain the Calcutta Cup, a trophy they have held since 2008.
“There were some tight calls on selection, but we have picked a match-day squad with a blend of experience and youth,” said Jones.
“The boys have worked hard since coming into camp to understand how I want the team to play going forward. We have prepared well and I am pleased with the progress the group has made in the short time we’ve had together.”
Jones also thanked previous Head Coach Stuart Lancaster, adding he was positive England can seal victory in Scotland,
“We are indebted to the work Stuart Lancaster has done over the last four years,” he said. “I have inherited a talented and highly motivated group of players.
“We are confident we can go to Edinburgh and win, but we’re in no doubt it will be a huge challenge. Playing at Murrayfield in front of a passionate Scottish crowd will be a real test for this team but one I know we can rise to.”
England match-day 23 to face Scotland
15. Mike Brown (vice captain, Harlequins, 43 caps)
14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
13. Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 16 caps)
12. Owen Farrell (vice captain, Saracens, 35 caps)
11. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 10 caps)
10. George Ford (Bath Rugby, 17 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 53 caps)
1. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 37 caps)
2. Dylan Hartley (captain, Northampton Saints, 66 caps)
3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps)
4. Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 28 caps)
5. George Kruis (Saracens, 10 caps)
6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 43 caps)
7. James Haskell (Wasps, 62 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (vice captain, Saracens, 21 caps)
16. Jamie George (Saracens, 3 caps)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 27 caps)
18. Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 42 caps)
20. Jack Clifford (Harlequins, uncapped)
21. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
22. Alex Goode (Saracens, 19 caps)
23. Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby, uncapped)