Conway: I Turned Down Leinster Deal To Sign With Munster
Andrew Conway has revealed that he turned down a contract offer from Leinster in favour of signing a deal with rivals Munster.
Conway spent three seasons with Leinster and the three-times Heineken Cup winners were keen for him to re-sign. However, a number of meetings with Munster’s coaching staff convinced the 22-year-old his future lay with the southern province.
He will make his debut for two-time Heineken Cup champions in Saturday evening’s opening pre-season game against Gloucester at Thomond Park and is excited at the prospect of wearing Munster’s colours for the first time.
“My only experience of playing in Thomond Park was the game at the tail end of last year,” he recalled. “I came on with about 20 minutes to go and didn’t see much of the ball in the conditions. Leinster just about managed to win on the day.
“Hopefully, I will continue to train well, impress the coaches and be a part of one of those big days in Thomond Park.”
Under IRFU guidelines Munster were not allowed to better the terms of the contract offer Leinster made to Conway. It was then up to the player to decide between the two clubs.
“It was a tough decision at the time. There were a number of factors involved, to be honest,” he said.
“There is an element of wanting to experience something new. I felt I had come to a bit of a standstill in Leinster. I was getting game time, but if everyone was fit, I wasn’t making the squad for the big games.
“I chatted to a lot of people and decided that getting out of my comfort zone was the best thing for me and for my career.”
Conway has joined Munster on a two-year contract having played just 10 games for Leinster last season.
He is an exciting winger with plenty of pace and, having spent his formative years as a full-back, brings great vision and awareness to his game.
He follows the example of Felix Jones, who also jumped ship to Munster from Leinster in recent times.
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- Warren Gatland Reveals His Coaching Ambitions After He Leaves Wales In 2019 - October 18, 2017
- Connacht Pull The Plug On Signing Of Fijian Centre - October 18, 2017
- Simon Zebo Says He Is ‘Unsure’ If He Will Sign A New Deal With Munster - October 18, 2017