Breaking: England Name Two Co-Captains As Team Named For Barbarians Clash
George Ford and Chris Robshaw will co-captain England against the Barbarians this Sunday.
Robshaw captained England during the 2015 Rugby World Cup before handing the captaincy over to Dylan Hartley when Eddie Jones took over following their early exit.
There are eight uncapped players in the starting XV including Jack Singleton ( Will Collier (Harlequins), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Sam James (Sale Sharks), and Nathan Earle (Saracens).
“I’m excited about this squad playing the Barbarians on Sunday,” said head coach Jones.
“The players have trained really well with intensity over the last few weeks and now we need to put that onto the field this weekend.
“While we have some really experienced players starting the game there is a great opportunity for some of the younger players to show what they are about against a Barbarians team full of quality international players.
“We will be treating this game as a Test match and expecting the Barbarians to start the game quickly. This match will be crucial preparation ahead of our two-Test series against Argentina next month.”
Robshaw and Ford co-captain the non-Test side on Sunday and Jones explained why he has shared the responsibility of leading the side.
“I’ve decided to have co-captains this weekend with Chris Robshaw and George Ford,” said Jones.
“We need the responsibility of leadership shared. Chris will look after the forwards and defence while George will look after the backs and attack. It splits the responsibility nicely and with so many younger players there we need co-captains rather than just one guy responsible for everything.”
15. Mike Brown (Harlequins, 60 caps)
14. Nathan Earle (Saracens, uncapped)
13. Sam James (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
12. Alex Lozowski (Saracens, uncapped)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 25 caps)
10. George Ford (Bath Rugby, 35 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 71 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
2. Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
3. Will Collier (Harlequins, uncapped)
4. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
5. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, uncapped)
6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 55 caps)
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
8. Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
16. George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
17. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
18. Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby, uncapped)
19. Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
20. Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
21. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
22. Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 27 caps)
23. Mike Haley (Sale Sharks, uncapped)